Thursday, April 10, 2014

Comical Fabric Stash

A week to clean up my quilt room and this is what I was able to accomplish.  After looking through ideas on how to store my fabrics, the use of comic boards seemed to be the best solution for me.  I bought the pack of 100 from amazon and didn't really think that I'd need all of them.  Well, today I had to order more.  I really need to do some stash busting.  It's fun when you find fabrics that you forgot you had.  For pieces that were too small to wrap around the comic boards, they're folded much like a fat quarter and stacked according to color.


 I love the way that I can see all of the pieces of fabric that I have. Now to get to the rest of the pile of fabric.  There's still two more cabinets to get to, so I'm sure I'll use all the other comic boards that I just ordered.  Here's a link on how to fold your fabric that I used on you tube.  She decided to use magazine boards, but since I had already ordered the comic boards, that's what I used.  It worked out just fine.



Saturday, March 29, 2014

Selling my Queen Quilter 18

I purchased the machine about 2 years ago and am moving on to another machine.  This machine has been a wonderful machine to work with and is in perfect working order.  I've listed it on ebay today and wanted a place to link up to so people could see it working.  What better place than on my blog.
If you would like to bid on the long arm, go on to ebay and do a search for Queen Quilter 18.  You'll see the photos below as well as a couple videos of the machine in action. Here's a direct link to the listing.  http://csr.ebay.com/cse/success.jsf?itemid=331165006462&mode=selllike&draftId=268314983503













Monday, February 10, 2014

Lots of Tiny HSTs

Loads of HSTs later, I finally have a finished block.  I've saved the pieces of fabric that we quilters that cut off the backsides of other pieces to remove bulk.  Some of them I sewed together and others I wish I had since it took a long time to sew, iron, trim and sort them.  I've been searching for different patterns for weeks and finally came up with this one which I absolutely love!  It's not as difficult as I thought it might be and I don't think that the next blocks will take as much time.  All together, I think I spent over 12 hours just to produce this one block.  Of course, now I have all the HSTs ready to go, so it should be a breeze.  Yeah right!


Monday, January 6, 2014

Starry Eyed Snow Day

We've been blasted in the lower half of Michigan with a ton of snow and really cold temperatures.  So much so, that school has been cancelled for today and tomorrow.  The wind chill factor is supposed to get down to -40!  I grew up in Traverse City, which is many miles north of here and I don't ever remember such cold temperatures.  It will be interesting to see what will happens here with businesses tomorrow with such cold temperatures.  Since we had the day off, I was able to finish my Starry Eyed quilt from the Moda Bake Shop that I purchased fabric for well over a year ago.  It was nice to finally get to it, but it was also nice to finish it because I kept sewing things on wrong.  A lot of frogging happened with this one.  With the quilt top finished, I'll need to load it onto my longarm and top stitch it and then bind it.  Let's see how long that takes me.



In addition to being able to quilt while I've been on break, I've also been able to get to some crochet projects, including many hats.  I'm also working on another project that will probably take me a long to actually complete, but I've got the materials for it all nicely stored in a 31 bag that a friend of mine from the Traverse City area shipped down to me for Christmas.  The blanket is folded in there and it consists of many small granny square blocks.  I've got all of my Stylecraft yarn underneath the blanket.  I love that yarn, but had to order it out of England as they don't sell it in the US.

My daughter also got in on the action and pulled out her quilt that she started well over a year ago and realized that you need a lot of blocks to complete a good size quilt.  She's decided that she is going to make them into a baby quilt and add some borders onto the sides.  Now she'll have to decide which baby to give it to.  For today, she's packed up the blocks and plans on getting back to them tomorrow.  She got the idea for the pattern from the Missouri Star quilt company.n  Our dog Jake is feeling the love in our quilting today and wants to take part.



Hopefully, I'll have another day off on Wednesday which will give me even more time to catch up on my crafts.